Romaine lettuce, small head, 1” diced
2 tomatoes, medium cut in ¾” chunks
½ C red onion, coarsely chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, sliced into ¼” moons
1/3 C fresh mint leaves, torn
¼ C fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
1/3 C lemon juice (~2 medium lemons, juiced)
3 cloves garlic, fine minced or pressed
1t pomegranate molasses
¾ C plus corn flour masa
1 C corn kernels (fresh preferred, frozen good, canned okay, rinsed)
2t Local Spicery Za’atar
1. Combine ingredients for salad in large bowl
2. Combine ingredients for dressing and shake vigorously or blend.
3. Liquefy corn kernels in a blender. A little water might help. Add corn slurry to ¾ cup masa, and blend by hand until just slightly moist (barely sticks to your fingers). You may need to add just a little water or masa to reach the right consistency (same consistency as a slightly moist pie crust). Divide this mixture into three balls. Spread a little masa out on a clean dry surface, and flatten the balls first by hand, then with your fingertips until about 1/8” thick, well formed and slightly thicker at the edges.
4. Cook tortillas on a very hot, dry skillet or griddle until both sides just start to show brown or black spots. The external surfaces should be dry, with just a little moisture in the middle.
5. Tear tortillas into bite-sized pieces, and toast in a toaster oven until just slightly stiff and dry at the edges.
6. Combine with salad ingredients and toss.
7. Add dressing to salad/tortilla mix and toss.
8. Sprinkle Za’atar over salad and serve.