These have been a Father’s Day staple in our house for many years now, and Amaretti have never failed to delight. They pair well with ice cream or coffee, as well as standing their own as a munchable treat.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 ¼ cup blanched whole almonds
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp Amaretto liqeuer or almond extract
- ¼ cup flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. In a large mixing bowl, let egg whites stand at room temperate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a food processor, process whole almonds with ¼ cup of sugar until almonds are finely ground.
- Add cream of tartar and almond extract to egg whites. Beat with electric mixer until soft peaks for. Gradually add remaining ½ cup sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form and sugar is almost dissolved. Fold in ground almonds.
- Drop meringue mixture by rounded teaspoons 1 ½ inch apart onto prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle a few flaked almonds over each cookie. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cookies just begin to brown. Centers will be soft. Turn off oven and let cookies dry in oven with the door closed for 30 minutes. Peel cookies from paper. Yields about 40 cookies.