If you like Girl Scout Savannah Smiles, you definitely need to try these. Perfectly tart and sweet, these are a wonderful sunshine-packed snack.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2-3 large lemons
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- On a sheet of waxed paper, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. From lemons, grate 1 tbsp peel and squeeze 2 tbsp juice.
- In large bowl, beat butter, ½ cup granulated sugar, and confectioners’ sugar until creamy. Beat in vanilla, lemon peel, and lemon juice until well-blended. On low speed, beat in flour mixture until just combined. Divide dough in half; shape into 6-inch long logs; wrap each log in waxed paper and refrigerate dough overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Keeping the remaining log in the fridge, cut 1 log into ¼ inch slices and place them 1 ½ inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle lightly with some of the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned at edges. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. Repeat with remaining dough. Yields 5 dozen cookies.