Traditionally a labor-intensive meal, this recipe is worth the time in the kitchen. Its deep, rich flavors are perfect for the winter, and the Vieux Carré Ragin’ Cajun blend is just spicy enough to warm you up without making you overheat. Quick note- our Cajun seasoning is completely salt-free, so for a stronger heat, you can add more spice without creating an imbalance.
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage (Andouille or Kielbasa), ½-inch thick pieces
- 4 lbs chicken thighs, skin removed
- 3 tablespoons Vieux Carré Ragin’ Cajun blend
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon Filé Gumbo
- white rice, hot sauce
- In large enameled Dutch oven or pot, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook until well browned (about 8 minutes). Removed sausage with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Season chicken with Vieux Carré Ragin’ Cajun blend; add in batches to fat remaining in the pot. Cook over medium-high heat until well browned (5-6 minutes). Remove chicken, let cool, and refrigerate.
- Combine remaining ½ cup oil and flour in same pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring slowly and constantly for 20-25 minutes, making chocolate brown roux.
- Add onions, celery, and bell peppers, and cook, stirring, until wilted (4-5 minutes). Add reserved sausage, and simmer for 1 ½ hours, skimming off fat.
- Remove pot from heat. Using slotted spoon, remove chicken thighs from the gumbo and place on a cutting board to cool slightly. Removed and discard the bay leaves. Pull the chicken meat from the bones and shred, discarding the bones and skin. Return meat to the gumbo and stir in green onions, parsley, and Filé Gumbo.
- Spoon rice into bottom of deep bowls or large cups and ladle gumbo on top. Serve with hot sauce on the side. Enjoy!
This recipe is featured in our Gumbo Gift Sleeves, which contain all of the spices called for. It pairs well with our Ragin’ Cajun Gift Box, which features both the Cajun Blend and the Filé Gumbo in addition to the Louisiana Blackening Spice to best round out your Creole cooking extravaganza.