This dish is a perfect side for a Middle Eastern or African style spread. Make sure to have a loaf of bread on hand- you’ll definitely want to finish off even the last drip of sauce!
Note: to decrease level of heat, you can use less Berbere than called for; it’s strong enough to stand out even with the measurement decreased.
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2-3 shallots diced (optional)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced (optional)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp Berbere
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes diced (or 2 cans diced tomatoes)
- 3-4 sweet potatoes or yams cut in chunks
- 3 large carrots chopped
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Water as needed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large skillet, sauté garlic, shallots and onion in olive oil over medium heat until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and green pepper, cook until softened. Add tomatoes and Berbere, heat thoroughly. Add water (or wine) as needed to keep at sauce consistency.
- In a baking dish, combine sweet potatoes, yams and carrots. Pour heated sauce over potato mixture, add sea salt and pepper to taste, and toss. Bake until potatoes are cooked, approximately 40 minutes.