The first recorded English pumpkin pie was a whole pumpkin, cored and filled with spiced apples, then baked. The recipe is a delicious return to tradition with a fully modern twist of flavor.
- 1 4-5 lb pumpkin
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4-5 cups sliced, peeled apples
- 1 cup raisins
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Cut the top off the pumpkin, saving the lid, and scrape out the seeds and strings. Brush the inside with melted butter and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Replace the lid and place the pumpkin in a shallow roasting pan. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the apples, raisins, remaining brown sugar, flour, and Pumpkin Pie Spice.
- Remove pumpkin from oven. Spoon the mixture into the pumpkin and replace the lid, returning pumpkin to the oven to bake for 90 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for 15 minutes, or until the pumpkin and apples are tender. Serve hot, scooping out pumpkin flesh with apple filling.