A spicy Ethiopian stew, perfect for winter days where the weather keeps you indoors. The flavor is driven by the sweet and spicy Berbere, so be sure to taste and adjust when you add the tomatoes!
- 4 T Unsalted Butter
- 2-in Piece of Ginger, finely minced
- 3 Large red onions, finely minced
- 5 Cloves minced garlic
- 3-5 T Berbere blend, as desired
- 1 Roma Tomato, chopped
- 1 qt Chicken or vegetable stock
- ¾ t Cardamom, freshly ground
- 1 Chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 Eggs, hard-boiled
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven, and add onions, garlic, and ginger. Cook on Medium Low heat for ~30 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add Berbere and tomato, and cook on Medium until the mixture starts to darken, ~15 minutes.
- Add stock, cardamom, and chicken pieces. Add salt and pepper to taste, and cook covered on Medium Low heat for 1 hr or until chicken is done.
- Turn heat to High and cook until sauce has reduced to desired thickness, ~15 minutes. Add eggs to sauce, and allow to warm up for ~5 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken and serve with flatbread.
Total cooking time: ~1 hr 30 minutes.
Makes four generous servings.