If you’re looking for the perfect chewy ginger cookie, look no further- we’ve got you covered right here. These cookies always turn out perfectly, and never last long enough to have leftovers.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup light molasses
- Combine first 6 ingredients in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Mix in crystallized ginger. Using electric mixer, beat brown sugar, shortening, and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg and molasses and beat until blended. Add flour mixture and mix just until blended. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly butter 2 baking sheets. Spoon sugar in thick layer onto small plate. Using wet hands, form dough into 1 ¼-inch balls; roll in sugar to coat completely. Place balls on prepared sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies until cracked on top but still soft to touch, about 12 minutes. Cool on sheets for 1 minute. Carefully transfer to racks and let cool before serving.