These are the quintessential crumbly, sweet almond balls of special occasions. For an added twist, mix a touch of orange peel powder (or even Dusk) in with the last layer of powdered sugar after the cookies have cooled.
These are fantastic cookies for cocktail parties- just bake up a batch the day before and place each cookie into a mini cupcake liner!
- 1 ½ cup blanched whole almonds
- 1 cup butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp orange peel powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Chop almonds finely. Cream butter and sugar; mix in orange peel powder, vanilla, and salt. Stir in almonds and flour. Chill dough if too soft to handle.
- Roll dough into small balls and place on greased cookie sheet. Flatten each cookie slightly. Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- While hot, roll in confectioner’s sugar. When cool, roll again in confectioner’s sugar and store. Yields 5 dozen cookies.