Adapted from the Moosewood recipe archives. This recipe can be made vegan by using a vegan egg substitute, which should be easily located at your local grocery store. To spice up the flavor, try adding a pinch of our Dark, or even just a touch of Star Anise or Cinnamon.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepared 8×11 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a saucepan, melt the chocolate in the oil on medium-low heat and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in corn syrup and applesauce. Add brown sugar and vanilla and beat until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and egg white and beat for another minute, or until smooth.
- Fold in sifted dry ingredients until just mixed and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Yields about 12 brownies.