All the holiday joy of Candy Canes, available year round through these marvelously minty sugar cookies!
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- ½ cup finely ground peppermint candies
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg until incorporated. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and mix until dough forms, about 1 minutes. Remove half of dough from bowl and reserve. Add extracts and candy to remaining dough and mix until combined.
- Place reserved dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll into 14×8″ rectangle. Repeat with peppermint dough and then place on top of plain dough and press gently to adhere. With the long side facing you, roll dough into a log. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Adjust oven racks to upper middle and lower middle positions and heat oven to 375ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice chilled dough into ¼ inch rounds and place 1 inch apart on baking sheets. Bake until edges are just golden, 12-14 minutes, switching and rotating halfway through baking. Let cool 10 minutes on sheet, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.