This is the perfect recipe for a stressful day. Take fifteen minutes in the morning to set up your slow cooker, and come home to a nearly completed meal. Moreover, it tastes fantastic and is so easy to customize! Swap potatoes for the carrots, stewing beef for the chicken (add another hour or two to the timer if you’re cooking on high), toss in fresh spinach along with the coconut milk, or play around with the spices- a touch extra coriander and a dash of sumac make this curry delightfully tangy, while smoked paprika is a welcome addition on cold winter nights- or just try your favorite curry powder and see how the flavors meld. Have fun with it!
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 C plain yogurt
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Madras Curry Powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 C frozen peas
- 3/4 C coconut milk
- Chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
- Place chicken, yogurt, and 1 tsp salt in slow cooker, stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, heat olive oil until it’s shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender (~8 minutes). Add garlic, curry powder, and garam masala; cook until fragrant (~1 minute). Add tomato paste, cook until slightly darkened in color (~1 minute). Add tomatoes and remaining salt; bring to a simmer, scraping any browned bits from the bottom. Pour over chicken in slow cooker. Add carrots to slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours (or high for 4).
- Uncover slow cooker, stir in coconut milk and frozen peas. Set to high for 30 minutes and leave uncovered. Serve with cilantro, over rice.